Comic-Con International wasn't always the end all be all place for pop culture. It started off just like many other small comic book conventions and grew, ever so slowly, until it had a large following. Once video game studios and Hollywood learned that they too could benefit from such a large section of their primary audience, Comic-Con rocketed up in many ways. Huge cross sections of pop culture fans began flocking to Comic-Con, not just for comic books, but to see their favorite stars and get the skinny on the latest news and releases of their select interests. Why should you go to Comic-Con? Read on to find out.
1. It Is The Largest Comic Convention In The USA
Nothing can beat the spectacle that is Comic-Con International. Over one hundred thousand attendees swarm over the San Diego Convention Center each year making it the largest comic book convention in the United States. There is not only a lot to see during the convention but the after parties and events that coincide with Comic-Con make it the place to be for geeks the world over. Being that this is the largest comic convention makes it the place to be for stars pushing their new movies and companies pushing their new product so you can be sure that anyone who is anyone in pop culture is going to be there as well.
2. Huge Announcements Happen Every YearAs mentioned above, the fact that this is the nation's largest comic book convention means that most every major publisher, producer, game maker, and talent related to the comic, movie, and video game industry is going to be dropping the biggest news they can muster during the convention. News items like Stan Lee returning to comic books or Neil Gaiman returning to Sandman are the ones that run rampant the whole weekend long. Every one of them is trying to be the big buzz around the con so they are all looking to drop the biggest news item. With social media in the hands of every con attendee the buzz that is generated is almost instant and widespread among fellow geeks attending and also not attending the con. You can't buy this kind of publicity and the people hocking their wares know this.
3. You Can Get Great Con-Only ItemsOne of the big draws to Comic-Con International are the convention only items that you can get. Things like trading cards, comic books, action figures, toys, statues, t-shirts, and just about anything you can think of. Comic book creators often bring their latest comic books available first at Comic-Con and even bring hand printed comics often called zines that they sell only at conventions. It is a great way to get something special for yourself or a loved one.
4. Huge Dealers Alley
Most every table at the convention will have something that you can buy, but there are also dealers that come full of comic books and other wares to sell on the convention floor. You can score some great deals on comic books, especially on Sunday when dealers don't want to pack up what is left of their stock. Another great aspect is that when you get comic items at the creator tables, you can get them signed or even have a doodle done in them.
5. Meet Your Favorite Star or Creator
Since Comic-Con International draws the biggest amount of stars, you can bet there is someone you will want to meet. Television and movie stars of today and yesterday are there in droves, signing pictures and shaking hands with fans. Tons of comic book creators will also be there so if there is someone whose work you admire you can be sure that you will most likely be able to find your favorite creator and say hello.
6. Comic-Con Panels
The panels are Comic-Con are amazing. The infamous Hall H is a 6500 seat auditorium that hosts only the biggest names in the business. You can see the first trailer for new movies, meet the biggest names in comics or Hollywood, or just learn how to become a better artist or writer. Some panels are small and intimate where you can ask questions and see your favorite creator or star close up. Comic-Con International has so many different panels to choose from on just about every genre from manga to movies and television.
7. Great Geek VacationComic-Con is not the only thing to do in San Diego. The city is busting with things to do so you can make it a great getaway for yourself or the whole family. The con lasts four days so you can pad your stay before or after to see what the city has to offer. Just going to the con itself is enough for some but it doesn't have to be. The San Diego guide has some great ideas for places to visit if you decide to stay a bit longer.
Every comic convention has freebies, but Comic-Con probably has the best. You can get all kinds of goodies as freebies are handed out everywhere. Things like posters, promotion items from movies or video games, and much much more. There are lots of people that go to Comic-Con, load up on freebies and exclusives, the turn around and sell them immediately on eBay, sometimes for hundreds of dollars. You might not be in it for the money, but you can be you will find some great one-of-a-kind items.
Perhaps as popular as the stars themselves are the fans that dress up as their favorite characters. Many are hand-made and these costume wearers, called cosplayers, often take center stage on the convention floor. Fans line up to take their pictures and pose with these instant celebrities and they add a lot to the convention experience.